Degrees and Certifications:
B.S. Elementary Education - West Chester University 1998 M.ED. In Reading - West Chester University 2003 PA Certified Reading Specialist 2003 Orton-Gillingham Teacher Certification, CALT 2016
Welcome to Reading Intervention - 7th & 8th Grade
"Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are." -Mason Cooley
Reading Intervention will provide students with skills necessary to become effective readers. Class activities will focus on word study, expanding vocabulary skills, improving comprehension skills, and strengthening listening, viewing, speaking, and writing skills. Students will learn reading strategies to use a broad range of fiction and non-fiction texts and respond orally and in written form. This course prepares students for success by further expanding their reading, writing and vocabulary. The development of these skills will enable them to become better critical thinkers and learn to research information and use it properly.
This class focuses on skills and strategies to meet the PA Language Arts Standards in Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening. Preparing for Standardized tests in Reading and Writing is also an integral part of the course. This class is also designed to prepare students for success in mainstream classes.
- Continue to apply multiple reading strategies to Fiction and Non-Fiction texts.
- Improve academic vocabulary
- Participate in discourse using “Accountable Talk”
- Meet the PA Language Arts Standards for grades 7-8
- Create and maintain intercultural awareness- Students will learn about respect and tolerance towards themselves and others.
- Focus on communication-Use effective spoken and written communication as students inquire, reflect on, and express their thoughts.